What Is Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry is an advanced, modern approach to treat various dental conditions. It has been around for over three decades and remains a more comfortable treatment option for procedures involving hard or soft tissue.
LASER stands for “light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation.” Dental lasers create light energy in a very narrow and precise beam. When the laser light hits tissue, it produces a reaction that allows it to remove or shape the tissue.
Many practices use laser dentistry to:
- Treat hypersensitivity
- Treat tooth decay
- Treat gum disease
- Whiten teeth
At Perfect-A-Smile Dental Group in Chagrin Falls, OH, we use the Solea CO2 Laser to provide pain-free, efficient treatment at our office.
How Is Laser Dentistry Used?
Lasers can be used for procedures involving hard tissue and soft tissue. Hard tissue refers to your teeth, while soft tissue refers to your gums.
Hard tissue procedures that can be assisted by laser dentistry include:
- Cavity detection – We can use lasers to detect cavities early by looking for signs of tooth decay.
- Tooth preparation and dental fillings – With laser dentistry, there is no need for local anesthesia or drills. We can use our laser to kill the bacteria in the cavity and prevent issues with tooth decay in the future.
- Treating tooth sensitivity – If your teeth are sensitive to hot and cold, we can treat them by targeting your tooth’s roots with dental lasers.
Soft tissue procedures that can be treated with laser dentistry include:
- Fixing a “gummy smile” – We can use dental lasers to reshape your gum tissue fix that “gummy smile” that occurs when the length of the gum tissue covers too much of the tooth.
- Crown lengthening – With dental lasers, we can reshape your gum tissue as well as your bone to give you healthier tooth structure on which to place restorations
- Treating gum disease – By using a laser, we can target infected periodontal tissue and preserve more of your healthy tissue when compared to gum surgery. The laser also seals the tissue, so stitches are not necessary in most cases.
Laser dentistry may also be used to:
- Remove benign tumors
- Reduce pain and inflammation caused by TMJ
- Nerve regeneration
- Teeth whitening
Benefits of Laser Dentistry
At Perfect-A-Smile, we have seen firsthand the many benefits of using dental lasers, including:
- A potential decrease in the need for sutures with soft tissue lasers
- Minimized bleeding after treating soft tissues, since the laser promotes blood clotting
- A decrease in the need for anesthesia
- A lower chance for bacterial infections because the laser sterilizes the area
- Faster healing so tissue can regenerate
- Little or no damage to the surrounding tissues during the procedure
Our team in Chagrin Falls, OH is proud to offer the best treatments and technology. With our laser dentistry, you can take advantage of a modern, beneficial approach to many dental procedures, to ensure you are receiving the best possible care. To request an appointment, call our office today at 440-708-0900 or contact us online.