Our Chagrin Falls Dentist Is Passionate About Helping Patients
You might say that being in business for himself is in the DNA of Dr. Richard Slaten – his parents owned their own “mom-and-pop” business. Dentistry has allowed him to use his organizational skills, problem-solving skills, and scientific curiosity of physiological mechanisms – all while working for himself and having a positive influence on people’s dental and overall health.
Dr. Richard received his Bachelor of Science in mathematics from Michigan State University and earned his Doctorate of Dental Surgery from the University of Michigan School of Dentistry. There he was a class officer and a member of the student council, and he presented a research project on decreasing the decay rate of preschool children.
Continuing education has always been a part of Dr. Richard’s professional life. In over 44 years of dentistry, his studies have included implant dentistry, aesthetic restorative anterior/posterior dentistry (both fixed and removable), non-amalgam restorations, TMJ dysfunction, endodontics, and periodontal/chemo therapeutics.
Dr. Richard is particularly proud of these accomplishments:
- Completing a three-year program in orthodontic studies and becoming a founding member of The American Association for Functional Orthodontics.
- Studying anterior esthetics, occlusion, problem solving, and restorative applications at the Dawson Academy in St. Petersburg, Florida.
- Graduating from the Pride Institute of practice management in Chicago.
- Attending various programs in aesthetic, occlusal, reconstructive, and neuromuscular dentistry at the Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies.
- Being a founding member of the North East Ohio Neuromuscular Study Consortium (NEONs).
- Membership and participation in the Academy of Computerized Dentistry of North America (ACDNA).
- Certificate of clinical proficiency in diode laser usage through the Academy of Laser Dentistry.
- Ongoing studies at APEX – a neuromuscular and aesthetic dental teaching institute.
In his community, he has served as president of the Kenston Athletic Association and president of the Rotary Club of Chagrin Valley, where he received the Paul Harris Fellowship Award.
Dr. Richard feels that his patients enjoy coming to see him because of his genuine sincerity for their concerns and his commitment to designing unique treatment plans for these concerns. He says that the best part of his job is the people that he works with. In addition, he is thankful for the current generation who have helped him embrace today’s quick speed of learning and technology.
Outside of the office, he enjoys reading, nature, yard work, water and snow skiing, and spending time with his family and friends.