Feel Better With Chagrin Falls TMJ Treatment
Nagging jaw pain. Annoying popping when opening your mouth. Unexplained headaches. These are all signs of TMJ issues. Don’t put up with continuous pain. Dr. Richard and the team at Perfect-A-Smile Dental Group provide effective solutions for our patients with these kinds of issues. Our Chagrin Falls TMJ treatment can help:Doctor Richard Slaten on TMJ Disorder Treatment Read Transcript
Now another big area in dentistry today is neuromuscular pain. Patients tend to know it as TMJ. TMJ is actually the temporomandibular joint. That's the joint in front of our ears. The reason we call it neuromuscular pain because a lot of the pain is from the nerves and is from the muscles. It involves a big area today. But for the most part, we have to realize as dentists is this discomfort coming from below, from the hips up, or is it coming from the head down. What I mean by that is if somebody has a leg shorter than the other by an eighth of an inch, it causes their whole body to be off and shift. So, there's not much we can do with head and neck if the rest of the body is out of line.
The flip side of that is people have to understand that this head is like a bowling ball. It's just sitting on a spinal column. So you've got a 12-pound bowling ball and you can't move your jaw or talk, just as I'm talking to you, without the muscles of the shoulder holding the head in place while it moves. When we see people with neuromuscular pain, first we have to realize, is the jaw position such that it's causing them problems? Are they under stress where they're just clenching all day? Even at work, a lot of people answering the phone and working at a computer in such a position that's causing them pain. So, we can get them to use a hands-free phone headset maybe.
What we can do as dentists is give them an appliance to balance that jaw to the top of the head, which then allows the head to be more in balance with the shoulders, and etc.
- Stop your jaw and facial pain so you can relax.
- Eliminate tension in your neck and shoulder area.
- Reduce the frequency and intensity of your headaches.
- Stop you from grinding your teeth and damaging your tooth enamel.
Call us today at 440-708-0900 to get help with your pain. Our friendly team at 16716 Chillicothe Road, Ste. 700 will schedule an appointment for you so you can feel better soon!
Our TMJ Solutions Offer You Welcome Relief
Many people suffer from pain in their TMJ (temporomandibular joint). These complex joints located on either side of your head make it possible to open and close your jaw. But when they become inflamed and irritated – for reasons we don’t yet fully understand – you can experience intense pain.
With advances in TMJ therapy, there’s no reason to keep suffering. We offer you several treatment methods to reduce or eliminate your TMJ pain so you can experience a better quality of life. Our solutions include:
- Custom Occlusal Guard– This appliance will fit comfortably in your mouth while you sleep, exerting gentle pressure on your lower jaw to ease tension on your TMJ. Not only will your jaw feel better, but the appliance will also help prevent you from grinding your teeth. Teeth grinding can cause premature wear on tooth enamel and require restorative dental work.
- Laser Therapy – Our gentle, low-level laser will penetrate down to the tissues near the TMJ. Treatment will reduce inflammation in these muscles and help promote their healing. Many patients feel immediate relief from this therapy.
- Muscle Relaxing Injections – This FDA-approved treatment will temporarily keep the muscles around your TMJ from engaging. With less muscle movement to irritate this area, you’ll experience less jaw pain and fewer headaches. Treatment can be repeated as needed.